notrow1

Book Review of Family Magic (The Hayle Coven Novels Book One) by Patti Larsen

Family Magic (The Hayle Coven Novels: Book One) - Patti Larsen

Her mom's a witch.
Her dad's a demon.
And she just wants to be ordinary.

I batted at the curl of smoke drifting off the tip of my candle and tried not to sneeze. My heavy velvet cloak fell in oppressive, suffocating folds in the closed space of the ceremony chamber, the cowl trapping the annoying bits of puff I missed. I hated the way my eyes burned and teared, an almost constant distraction. Not that I didn't welcome the distraction, to be honest. Anything to take my mind from what went on around me.

Being part of a demon raising is way less exciting than it sounds.

Sydlynn Hayle's life couldn't be more complicated. Trying to please her coven, starting over in a new town, and fending off a bully cheerleader who hates her are just the beginning of her troubles. What to do when delicious football hero Brad Peters--boyfriend of her cheer nemesis--shows interest? If only the darkly yummy witch, Quaid Moromond, didn't make it so difficult for her to focus on fitting in with the normal kids. Add to that her crazy grandmother's constant escapes driving her family to the brink and Syd's between a rock and a coven site. Forced to take on power she doesn't want to protect a coven who blames her for everything, only she can save her family's magic.

If her family's distrust doesn't destroy her first.

Review 5*****

This is the first book in a fantastically magic series. I loved it!

Sydlynn Hayle is a not so typical teen. She is a powerful witch, who also happens to be part demon. I liked her a lot, even though the angst and self pity sometimes got on my nerves. Her life is not simple by any means, but when danger threatens her family, she is one of the bravest heroines to grace the pages of a book. She is stubborn and determined, and even more powerful than she fully realises.

I downloaded this book after a friend recommended it a while ago. Unfortunately, I have only just now managed to get to read it. I am really kicking myself, because it was a fantastic story!
I started to read and couldn't put it down! Sydlynn may not be a typical teen, but her desire to be normal and fit in is something that everyone can relate to. It was interesting to see how this character grew through the story; her confidence in her magic and the relationships with new friends. I loved Syd's grandmother, who although damaged by a powerfully misfired spell, is still a formidable woman in her lucid moments. There are several twists in this story, which kept me hooked! The coven is facing a dangerous foe and, although I kind of guessed who that was before it was revealed, the mystery and suspense that is built up was electrifying. Syd's also facing a potential love triangle, and a fight between her witch half and what her demon half wants. I must admit that I am not really a fan of love triangles, but Brad Peters and Quaid Moromond are like chalk and cheese. Brad may be the star football player of the school, but I liked his warmth and charm. Quaid is the typical bad boy, but it's more image than reality. He is dark and brooding, but also has a vibe that Syd's demon is drawn to. He is still a bit of an enigma though, so I am hoping that I'll get to know him better. There was one surprise I didn't see coming, and that involves a cheerleading bully. I will leave it to you to find out what happened. I will say that it did bring a tear to my eye, in a good way. I was a bit sad when I reached the end of the story, as I wanted to keep reading. I am now looking forward to continuing this series - of which there are 20 books so far - I have a lot of catching up to do!

Patti Larsen has written a fast paced, magical YA novel. I loved the way the author has created characters that are lifelike and likable, but with a paranormal twist. I loved the pace and flow. I am adding this author to my Favourite Authors list.

I highly recommend this book (and series) if you love YA or Paranormal Romances. - Lynn Worton