notrow1

Josh Anvil and the Indomitable Power
Kallie Ennever, John Albers, Bruce E. Arrington
The Vampire's Accidental Wife
Kristen Painter
The Dragon Finds Forever (Nocturne Falls Book 7)
Kristen Painter
Sci-fi Nights: Alpha bad boys & wild girls of futuristic romance
Mina Carter, Bianca D'Arc, Jessa Slade, Cathryn Cade, Calinda B
Release By Treaty
Travis Luedke, Kayla Stonor
Jimmy Threepwood And The Veil of Darkness
Rich Pitman
Captured Innocence (CSA Case Files)
Kennedy Layne
The Darkest Night
Gena Showalter
Mercenary Instinct (Mandrake Company)
Ruby Lionsdrake

Book Review of A Matter of Degree by Beckie Henderson

A Matter of Degree - Beckie Henderson

When Katherine Valletta starts her new job at Deerhampton University, it’s clear that this is no normal workplace. Why has someone left an anonymous letter on her desk? Who is the arrogant woman who almost runs her down in that flashy sports car? And, most importantly, what is the story behind the handsome man whose arms she falls into on her way home?

As Katherine attempts to unravel these puzzles, her confidence and her self-knowledge grow, along with her relationships. She builds an unlikely friendship with Diana Woolf, Deerhampton’s tough new Professor of History. Fred Morris, the Admissions Tutor with a penchant for gaudy ties and knitted tank tops, seems like a useful ally. While in the midst of all the mayhem, Maddie Rose is a voice of reason, supporting her colleague Katherine all the way.

And in the background hovers sultry Biology Lecturer Chris Burberry. The more Katherine sees him, the more she likes him. But what does he want? What’s in his past? In fact, what does Katherine really know about him at all?

This witty, light-hearted novel is a great holiday read. Written in bite-sized chunks, it is also ideal for devouring on the move—while travelling to work, or when waiting for your kids to finish their swimming/piano/karate lessons, for example...

Review 4****

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is a wonderful romantic mystery that kept me hooked from the first page!

Katherine Valletta is a wonderful character. She is a smart and capable woman, who is starting her new job as Head of Administration at Deerhamption University in England. I liked her character a lot, but felt that she was not a strong enough character for the lead.

Diana Woolf had a stronger personality and basically took over the story. I didn't like her at first, but as the story continued, I grew to like this shrewd and forceful person.

I started to read this story and was quickly intrigued with the plot and the characters. I really did enjoy it! The story is told from four points of view: Katherine's, Diana's, Chris's and a fourth mystery person that kept things interesting. However, I felt that the mystery and suspense was a bit thin, and I guessed at the culprit long before they were revealed. But, there were a few twists that had me doubting my first instinctive guess. I'm glad my deductive reasoning was correct though, in the end!
The romance aspect between Katherine and Chris was not as passionate as I thought it could have been, but it was sweet and endearing. This book felt more like a Chic Lit novella rather than a mystery/romance, but it is a quick light read that one could pick up when travelling to work on public transport or whilst on holiday.

Beckie Henderson has written a wonderfully sweet romance. Her writing style is not particularly fast paced, but it flowed wonderfully. I would definitely read more of her books in the future.

I recommend this book if you love Chic Lit or Romance genres. - Lynn Worton