notrow1

Progress: 100 %
Fury of Surrender
Coreene Callahan
Progress: 100 %

Book Review of Hidden in the Amethyst; Amelia Maylock #2 (Amelia Maylock books) by Jason Ellis

Hidden in the Amethyst - Jason Ellis
This is the second book in the Amelia Maylock Series. I absolutely loved it!

Amelia Maylock is a fantastic character. She is still coming to terms with finding out that she is a witch, and having an evil sister (Erryaz) that she has to defeat. I really liked watching this character grow as she trains with the old hag. Her confidence in her abilities is still shaky, but she puts her heart into everything she tries.

This story carries on from the end of the first book, The 12th Year Awakening. There is still a bit of mystery surrounding the "friendly voice" that Amelia hears, but it was nice visiting with the old hag, Anin, Ferul, Ral and Orhus again. There are a few new dimensions to travel to, and new friends and foes to meet. There are also a few twists and turns that surprised me; none more so than when Amelia meets the Leyumina. I had begun to like these people, but when they don't get their way, they sure turn ugly (talk about a swift personality change!). Erryaz is as evil as ever, and will stop at nothing to become even more powerful.
This story has a blend of fantasy, magic and reality that will appeal to young readers and keep them entertained. I am now looking forward to reading the next book in the series to find out what happens next!

Jason Ellis has written an exciting YA fantasy/adventure series that will keep youngsters hooked from the first page! I love his writing style, which is fast paced and flows beautifully. I have added this author to my Favourite Authors list.

I highly recommend this book (and series) to not only boys and girls aged between 9 to 14, but to adults who love the younger YA genre. - Lynn Worton