notrow1

Book Reviews by Lynn

Book Review of Dream World (Dream World #1) by S.J. Hitchcock

DREAM WORLD, BOOK 1 - S.J. HITCHCOCK

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is a coming of age YA story that I really enjoyed.

Debbie is a wonderful character. She is a thirteen year old girl, who witnesses a terrible accident. Trying to cope with her grief, she slips into daydreams. I really liked this character and felt for her as she struggled to cope with the loss of her mother. She is pretty level headed, but just like all teenage girls, she fantasizes about Joshua Lawson, the star of a TV programme.

Karen is a character that I, at first, took a dislike to. She is snobbish and is a bit of a bully. However, as I read more about her home life, I began to understand why she acts the way she does. Her mother has some serious issues! I have warmed up to Karen's character somewhat, but still feel that she needs a wake up call to show her that she doesn't have to act that way.

Mark is an interesting character. He is an American, who goes to live with his grandparents in the UK whilst his parents (who are in a band) are on tour. I really liked this young man! He is charming and courteous, but has always felt like he was living in the shadow of his famous cousin. Being in England gives him a chance to stretch his own wings.

This book had me on a rollercoaster of emotions! I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading this book, but it was a shocking, heartwarming and unexpectedly charming read! The story is told from all three characters points of view, and gives the reader an insight into their lives. I must admit that I did find the teenage angst a bit teeth grinding at times, but looking back on my own teenage years, I can understand that molehills look like mountains to the youth. However, what got my goat was Karen's story. I cannot understand for the life of me how a family can be so shallow and callous to one of their own. Granted, I feel blessed to have a close knit and loving family, but the way they treated her really got my back up! Perhaps as the story unfolds in the next book, things will become clearer. I am looking forward to reading the next book to find out what happens next!
As this book is set in England, the author uses British words that are spelt differently to US English.

S.J. Hitchcock has written an intriguing tale that, although not as fast paced as I would have liked, kept me reading from the first page to the last.

I recommend this book to young readers in the 12 to 15 age range, and to adults who love to read younger YA books. - Lynn Worton