notrow1

Book Reviews by Lynn

Book Review of Don't Forget Dexter! (Dexter T. Rexter Series Book 1) by Lindsay Ward

Don't Forget Dexter - Lindsay  Ward

Introducing Dexter T. Rexter, the toughest, coolest dinosaur ever. At least he likes to think so.

When his best friend, Jack, leaves him behind at the doctor’s office, Dexter T. Rexter panics. First he tries to find Jack. Then he sings their special song. Then he sings their special song even louder. But when Jack still doesn’t appear, Dexter starts to wonder. What if he’s being replaced by another toy? It can’t be—after all, he can STOMP, RAWR, and CHOMP! Right? Right?!

This hilariously neurotic dinosaur will do whatever it takes to get his friend back—even asking the reader’s advice—in this first book of a brand-new series.

Review 4*

This is a super little story for children aged 3-7 years old. I really enjoyed it!

Dexter is a toy dinosaur belonging to a young boy called Jack. He finds himself being left alone at a doctors office. Will he find Jack, who has been gone forever? Has Jack found another friend to play with?

This story is an interactive one that will entertain children, even those with a short attention span. However, I have reservations about a child's ability to read this book without help, especially the younger age range, due to the different font usage - from smaller to larger fonts, and the use of capitals. Having said that, depending on the reading ability, a child shouldn't have too much trouble in understanding the story due to the simple, concise, and engaging language the author uses. This story would make an entertaining bedtime story, but due to the interactive parts, not entirely a quiet read either. This could excite a child rather than settle them down for the night. Nevertheless, I did enjoy the story and the ending was rather sweet.

Lindsay Ward has written a wonderful children's book about a neurotic toy dinosaur. I love how she tells a story in part rhyme, which makes it engaging for children. I would consider reading more of her books in the future, even though I am not her target audience.

I highly recommend this children's book to children aged 3-7, and adults who are looking for an entertaining read for their youngsters. - Lynn Worton