notrow1

Book Reviews by Lynn

The Callback (Love Behind the Scenes Book 1)
Brandy L. Rivers
Gamma Raiders: The Space Pirate Prince: Alien Alpha Science Fiction Romance
Calista Skye
Rescuing Rayne (Delta Force Heroes Book 1)
Susan Stoker
Watcher's Web: Return of the Aghyrians
Patty Jansen
Spellbound
Patricia Simpson
Dreams of Change (Branches of Emrys Book 2)
Emily A. Lawrence, Brandy L. Rivers

Audio/Book Review of Catch Me If You Can by Miss Mae

Catch Me If You Can - Miss Mae

On an island bordering the coast of South Carolina, a convention is planned for "Catch Me" game enthusiasts. The game, designed by Stuart Harrington, wealthy businessman, is the genius behind the hottest game craze. But only ten guests are able to arrive before Brian, a category four hurricane, makes landfall. Lois Steinberg washes ashore on the beach. Amongst strangers, she has no idea who to trust and when Paul, the cook, is found murdered, events happen too eerily reminiscent of any "Catch Me" game that Stuart Harrington could ever conceive.

Review 4*

I originally read a kindle version of this book a year ago. Since then, the audio book has been released and, when I heard the sample, I decided to download it. This is a new review to incorporate the audiobook format.

This is an interesting dramatization of the story. This is a fully immersive experience, with sound effects and music used in such a way that felt like throw back to the old radio dramatizations/plays. My only complaint about this version of story is that the wind sound effect, although used to great affect, annoyed the heck out of me. Granted, you can't have a storm/hurricane without wind, but I felt that it drowned out some of the dialogue. I am also used to listening to audiobooks narrated by one or two performers. However, this story had a whole ensemble cast. I did think that the actors used to play the various characters did a wonderful job in bringing the story to life and they need to be commended.

This is a wonderful murder mystery. I really enjoyed it!

Lois Steinberg is a wonderful character. I really liked her. Washed ashore on Hanibel Island, off the coast of South Carolina during a storm, she finds herself in danger; a convention for a "Catch Me" game turns deadly. As the intensity of the storm increases, the danger increases too. Trapped and afraid, she will have to keep her wits about her to survive. Not sure whom to trust, she finds herself fighting her attraction to Victor, a man with his own secrets.

This is a fantastic murder mystery. The intensity of the tale is kept all the way through. Ten strangers (or are they?) are trapped in Wycliff House Resort during a category four hurricane. When one of their number is murdered, everyone becomes suspect.

I found myself hooked by the story and it kept me intrigued. I enjoyed meeting Victor Helm and his dog, Mite, though I felt that Victor's character could have had a little more depth. All of the other characters have their own quirks and secrets. Jenna Milford is the owner/manager of Wycliff House. Paul is her cook. Jared Steele is one of the guests, as is Tia, B.J., Cookie, Rajah Singh, Bob, Victor and Pete.

I must admit that when I originally read this book, I had no idea who the murderer was even up until the end. After listening to the audiobook, even though I knew who the culprit was, I still found myself engrossed in the story. There are red herrings, twists and surprises in store. When I originally found out who the murderer was, I was completely taken aback. I never expected that. I am normally pretty good at ferreting out the culprit, but not this time. This made the ending exciting. I was a little disappointed that I couldn't work out who the murderer was, but it wouldn't be a good murder mystery if I had (I think).

Miss Mae has written a wonderful murder mystery. I love her fast paced writing style and the flow was wonderful. I am a huge fan of mystery novels, and one of my favourite authors in this genre is Agatha Christie. However, Miss Mae is an author that I will be keeping an eye on in the future.

I highly recommend this book to readers who love murder mysteries and suspense or classic who-dun-its and dramatizations and are looking for a highly entertaining read. - Lynn Worton