notrow1

Progress: 100 %
Fury of Surrender
Coreene Callahan
Progress: 100 %

Book Review of Valen (Guardians of Hades Romance Series Book 2) by Felicity Heaton

Valen - Felicity E. Heaton

Prince of the Underworld and Lord of Lightning, Valen was banished from his home by his father, Hades, two centuries ago and given a new duty and purpose—to keep our world and his from colliding in a calamity foreseen by the Moirai.

Together with his six brothers, he fights to defend the gates to the Underworld from daemons bent on breaching them and gaining entrance to that forbidden land, striving to protect his home from their dark influence. Cursed by Zeus to never know love again, Valen has brought up barriers around his heart to protect it, but with each new barrier he creates, the dark hold his power has over him grows, becoming all he needs.

Until the night he finally crosses paths with the assassin who has been watching him from the shadows, a bewitching mortal possessing the name of an angel and the skills of a devil—a woman who awakens his passionate heart and stirs dangerous desires.

Eva has built a fearsome reputation for herself in Italy’s underworld, but her latest job in her beloved city of Rome has left her feeling that she has stepped into a dangerous world and this mission might end in her death—either at the hands of her mysteriously seductive client or by the blade of the wickedly alluring warrior who is her target.

As the threat from the daemons escalates and more than just the Rome gate becomes their target, will Valen be strong enough to face the fears in his heart and the ghosts of his past to claim everything he desires or will they lure him deeper under their spell and into the darkness?

Review 4*

This is the second book in a new paranormal series written by this author. I loved it!

Valen is a wonderful character, I liked him a lot even though he has a bit of a self-pity party going on. He is one of the seven brothers born to Hades and Persephone, and has been banished to live in the mortal realm as a guardian to the portal into the Underworld in Rome. His brothers guard other gates around the world. Cursed by Zeus to never know love, he finds himself intrigued with a mysterious woman who has been sent to assassinate him.

Eva is an intriguing character, I liked her a lot too, She is a deadly assassin and has been tasked with gathering information on Valen. When her client changes her orders in the middle of the mission, she finds herself caught between her duty to her employer and her growing desire for her mark.

I love reading the Eternal Mates series, but this new series may give it a run for it's money. This story takes the reader on an emotional roller coaster from beginning to end. I must admit that I felt sad for Valen. He didn't deserve the treatment he received at Zeus's hand. Granted, he was angry and full of grief at the time, but the "curse" that Zeus placed on him left him with a "woe is me" attitude and his self pity blinded him to the truth. Frankly, I was more angry at his parents (even though Persephone did try to get through his thick skull) for not convincing their son that he would find love and that he WAS loved. Even his brothers never expressed their love for him. No wonder his self-worth was deflated.

The villain of the story, Benares, is an incubus, but I never got an "evil" vibe from him; he was more of a smooth operator with an agenda. Jin, his sister, was a completely different issue. However, they are both desperate to get through the gate back into the Underworld; this made them dangerous. The story arc is beginning to take shape, with even more dangerous enemies hiding in the wings. As I reached the end of the book, I found myself becoming even more excited for what is to come. I am now looking forward to reading Esher's story as soon as I can.

Felicity Heaton has written another fast paced, sexy paranormal romance that I thoroughly enjoyed. I love her fast paced writing style, which flows effortlessly from scene to scene. She is on top of my favourite author's list.

Each book of this series could be read as a stand-alone, as this one does not end in a cliffhanger, though I would recommend reading them in order. I do not recommend this book to younger readers due to the extremely HOT and explicit sexual scenes. However, I highly recommend this book (and series) if you love sexy paranormal romances full of gods and daemons. - Lynn Worton