notrow1

Book Reviews by Lynn

NEST: Retribution
David J Antocci
Progress: 100 %
Jarek (Scifi Alien Weredragon Romance) (Dragons of Preor Book 1)
Erin Tate, Celia Kyle
Progress: 200/200 pages
Fury of Surrender
Coreene Callahan
Progress: 100 %

Book Review of The Hauntings of Cold Creek Hollow (Haunted Series Book 1) by Alexie Aaron

The Hauntings of Cold Creek Hollow - Alexie Aaron

Little Mia Cooper’s ability to see the dead made her an outcast in her hometown. Several years later, she has finally managed to blend in, but her hard-won peace is threatened by the arrival of a bumbling team of paranormal investigators. Mia is drawn in reluctantly as an advisor on what, at first, seems to be a fairly straightforward case, only to discover that the Hollow has much more in store for her. An ancient evil is rising in Cold Creek Hollow. What begins as a ghost hunt will become a fight for survival.

Review 4*

This is the first book in the Haunted Series. I really enjoyed it.

Mia Cooper is a likable character. She has been able to see ghosts since being a child. However, her ability has left her a bit of a pariah and loner. When a ghostly sighting leads to a group of paranormal investigators visiting Cold Creek Hollow, she finds herself involved in a race against a malevolent and ancient evil that threatens the residents.

I actually purchased this book when I first bought my Kindle way back in 2012. Unfortunately, due to my large reading list, I haven't been able to read this book until recently. I am kicking myself for not reading it sooner.

I started to read the book and quickly became intrigued. I found myself completely riveted by the story, though I did find some of the characters to be a little under developed. I must admit that I did like Deputy Whitney (Whit to his friends) Martin at first. However, he also can be a thoughtless and chauvinistic jerk and I wanted to slap him on more than one occasion. He and Mia have a history (though not romantic on his part even though Mia had a crush on him - they went to school together). Whit is married to Sherry, who is an aspiring artist who wants to show her work in the Museum of Modern Art. The paranormal investigators are an interesting bunch. They are: Burt Hicks and Mike Dupree, who are the leaders, then there are Amber (presenter), Beth (researcher) and Ted (camera/soundman). Rose Malloy is the town's real estate agent and has a penchant for gossip, which she uses for her own gain. However, I think my favourite character has to be Murphy. He has a sense of humour to match his razor sharp axe. He also happens to be a ghost and can only communicate through mime to Mia, or by using his axe to chop wood.

The story is told through the eyes of several of the characters. This gives the reader an opportunity to see different view points, I must admit that I enjoyed this aspect. This story has a slow-burning undercurrent of suspense to it that completely had me hooked. I wasn't sure where the author was going with this story at first, but as the history of the Hollow and horror of it was uncovered, I found myself feeling sorry for the ghostly inhabitants that were caught up in a vengeful evil. I also found myself turning the pages in a effort to find out what would happen next, as there are several twists and turns that I didn't see coming. I also enjoyed the romance aspect between Mia and Burt and thought they made a lovely couple and were well suited.

I read this book in less than twenty-four hours and, to say it's a four hundred and forty-three page book, that's how engrossing it was. There is mystery, danger, horror and happiness within the pages and it took me on an emotional roller coaster ride from beginning to end. I did think that the explanation the author gave for the vengeful spirit's evil was a little disappointing, and I couldn't feel any emotional attachment to any of the characters apart from Murphy; this made me feel sad. I felt that the ending was a little anti-climatic for me, even though it concluded satisfactorily. Nevertheless, I am now looking forward to reading the next book in the series, Ghostly Attachments, when I have the chance.

Alexie Aaron has written a wonderful supernatural horror. I love her fast paced writing style. However, I found the flow a little jerky at times. This is the first book I have read by this author, but it will not be my last (I hope).

Due to scenes of a sexual nature (though not explicit), as well as violence and horror, I do not recommend this book to younger readers or those of a nervous disposition. However, I highly recommend this book if you love supernatural or paranormal horror. - Lynn Worton