notrow1

Book Reviews by Lynn

The Callback (Love Behind the Scenes Book 1)
Brandy L. Rivers
Gamma Raiders: The Space Pirate Prince: Alien Alpha Science Fiction Romance
Calista Skye
Rescuing Rayne (Delta Force Heroes Book 1)
Susan Stoker
Watcher's Web: Return of the Aghyrians
Patty Jansen
Spellbound
Patricia Simpson
Dreams of Change (Branches of Emrys Book 2)
Emily A. Lawrence, Brandy L. Rivers

Book Review of Dove Island by Miss Mae

Dove Island - Miss Mae

Second Place in the 2009 P&E Readers' Poll! A Top Ten Finisher!

Christopher’s dedicated his allegiance to the Church. But that’s before he meets Roxanne, his cousin’s betrothed. Aboard the ship appointed for the honeymoon voyage, he fears losing her not to his cousin, but to a barbaric pirate attack. Will he live long enough to confess she holds his heart?

Review 4*

This is an intriguing short story. I really enjoyed it.

I would normally do a character review, but as there are only Christopher and Roxanne in it, it would cause spoilers so I will forgo this in this instance.

This story is only eleven pages long, so it took me less than five minutes to read. There is so much potential for this story. I felt that it could be expanded, as the beginning seemed more like the middle to me. I would have liked to have read about the pirate attack and not just the after affects. Nevertheless, the story did hook me from the beginning. There is very little in the way of character growth as such due to the short length. In a way, the scene the author created reminded me of the one with Jack and Rose in 'Titanic' sans the icebergs and cold water (seeing as it is set in warm, shark infested waters). However, without it being as grim considering it finishes on a relatively happy and hopeful note. Unfortunately, this book left me feeling a little disappointed that the story wasn't longer. There was also very little in the way of action, though the description of the scene from the aftermath was incredibly detailed and I could picture it in my mind's eye with ease.

I am a fan of Miss Mae's books in general. I love her writing style, which is fast paced and entertaining, and the flow was great. However, this story is not one of her best in my opinion. Having said that, I am looking forward to reading more of her books in the future.

As there are no scenes of a sexual nature, nor any profanity, younger readers would be fine while reading this short story. However, I recommend this book to readers who are looking for a quick read if you have a spare five minutes. - Lynn Worton