notrow1

Progress: 100 %
Fury of Surrender
Coreene Callahan
Progress: 100 %

Book Review of The Professor Woos The Witch (Nocturne Falls Book 4) by Kristen Painter

The Professor Woos The Witch (Nocturne Falls) (Volume 4) - Kristen Painter

Welcome to Nocturne Falls, the town that celebrates Halloween 365 days a year.

The tourists think it's all a show: the vampires, the werewolves, the witches, the occasional gargoyle flying through the sky. But the supernaturals populating the town know better.

Living in Nocturne Falls means being yourself. Fangs, fur, and all.

Pandora Williams is Nocturne Falls’ most successful real estate agent. And least successful witch. Her magic never has the intended outcome, but she’s learned to live with that. Mostly. Yes, it sucks, but what can she do? Then a hot new neighbor shows up and suddenly her magic works. Very cool, but very suspect. Especially since he’s a total non-believer.

Cole Van Zant likes practicality and absolutes. Things he can see and touch. So not magic. But when his teenage daughter insists she’s a witch—and they’re now living in a town that celebrates Halloween every day—he needs help. Of the witchy variety. Thankfully, his sexy neighbor buys into all that hocus pocus.

Enlisting her help seems like a great idea until spending time together reveals a supernatural surprise about who Cole really is. A secret even he didn’t know. Could Pandora and Cole really be meant for one another or is their attraction too much to believe?

Review 5*

This is the forth book in the Nocturne Falls series. I loved it!

Pandora Williams is a fantastic character. I liked her when I first met her in The Gargoyle Gets His Girl. She is a witch with misfiring magic who works as an estate agent and is known as The House Witch. When she finds a young girl hiding in her shed, and the girl's father arrives on her doorstep to collect her, her magic is affected by his very presence and begins to work properly. Intrigued and attracted to the sexy maths professor, Pandora finds herself facing a difficult decision.

Cole Van Zant is a wonderful character. I liked him a lot. He is a maths professor, but when he finds out he has inherited a house in Nocturne Falls from a distant relative, he takes a sabbatical and brings his daughter, Kaley, with him. He doesn't believe in magic or supernatural beings, but when he meets Pandora he is instantly attracted to her. As a family secret is revealed, Cole's life is completely upended. Will he be able to make a future with Pandora, or will his ex-wife throw a spanner in the works?

I came across this series through the recommendations from Amazon due to my reading/browsing history. I loved the first book and couldn't wait to read this one. Luckily, my sister and I share the same taste in books and, since we also share our Kindle libraries, I was able to read this from her account.

I started to read and didn't put it down until I had finished it. In fact, it felt like I'd only just started it when I finished. I flew through the story I was that absorbed. I enjoyed meeting the various residents of Nocturne Falls and getting to know them better.

The story is told through the eyes of both Pandora and Cole and took me on an emotional roller coaster ride from beginning to end. The reader is also introduced to several characters including Pandora's mother, Corette, and two sisters, Marigold and Charisma. Corette owns and runs the only bridal shop in Nocturne Falls. Marigold owns and runs a florist shop and Charisma is a psychologist. Marigold also has a daughter called Saffron, who is eight years old. Then there is Kaley, Cole's thirteen year old daughter. She is a typical angst ridden teen, though I liked her a lot too. It can't be easy living with a father who doesn't believe in witches and magic. The only character I took an instant dislike to was Kaley's mother, Lila. I cannot understand how a parent can abandon their own child in the way she did. I found her to be incredibly selfish. There are also a few other interesting characters, but none more so than Aunt Gertrude, who is now a ghost living in the attic. She's incredibly eccentric and a bit of a dirty old lady. She made me laugh.

I have really enjoyed reading this series and watching the characters grow. In this book, there is a lot more character development for not only Pandora, but for Kaley and Cole too. They each take an amazing journey of discovery about themselves that some of the previous characters in the other books didn't do. There is a little more action in this storyline too, with danger in the form of an ex determined to tap into Cole's ability as a human familiar. I really enjoyed the showdown between Pandora and Lila, though slightly disappointed with the ending of that fight. I won't say why because of spoilers. Having said that, I loved the interview scene at the school between Cole and Hugh and Sebastian Ellingham. It made me giggle. Sebastian is becoming more intriguing by the minute.

As I've mentioned in other reviews, I'm not a huge fan of insta-love. I like characters to have time to get to know each other better. This story is more in line with this compared to the first two books in the series. The story is a romance and I enjoyed watching Cole's and Pandora's relationship grow. I reached the end of the book and was left with a warm fuzzy feeling as I enjoy a happy ending. I am now looking forward to reading the next book in the series, The Vampire's Fake Fiancée, as soon as I can.

Kristen Painter has written a wonderful paranormal romance. I enjoyed her writing style, which is fast paced and entertaining. The flow was wonderful too. I would definitely read more of this author's books in the future.

There are no scenes of an explicit sexual nature (the scenes fade or are implied and not shown), nor is there any bad language. Therefore, I recommend this book to older teens and highly recommend this book to readers who love paranormal, supernatural or urban fantasy romances. - Lynn Worton