notrow1

Progress: 100 %
Fury of Surrender
Coreene Callahan
Progress: 100 %

Audio/Book Review of The Seadog: a love story (Paines Creek Beach Book 3) by Aaron Paul Lazar

The Seadog: a love story (Paines Creek Beach Book 3) - Aaron Paul Lazar

A mysterious man with no past, a troubled young woman running from hers…and a powerful love that may heal them both.

Scout Vanderhorn has lost her mother, her home, and all hope of security. In a desperate bid to escape her abusive stepfather, she travels to a seaside mansion on Cape Cod in search of the real father she never knew—and finds a secret sister who welcomes her into the family, troubles and all. But it’s not long before trouble comes looking for Scout.

Unaware of his past, or even his own name, Jack Remington is lost. He spends his days scavenging for survival and compulsively searching the seas in his battered old kayak. At night, alone in his beach cave, he’s haunted by nightmares. But from the moment he glimpses Scout, a powerful connection is forged that begins to bring him back from the brink.

Neither expects to fall for the other, but Scout and Jack can’t deny their explosive mutual attraction. Can this love remake a broken man and save a woman with nothing to lose…before the past drowns them in the oncoming storm?

Set on beautiful Cape Cod, The Seadog is a story of trauma and redemption, of mysteries and revelations -- and above all, the incredible power of love.

Review 4*

This is the third book in the Paines Creek Beach series. I really enjoyed it.

I downloaded this book in audiobook format as I have listened to this author's work in this way before and really enjoyed it. This audio book is narrated by Gwendolyn Druyor, who has narrated other books by this author. She has a pleasant voice to listen to, though she has a drawl that I struggled to like, and I enjoyed her narration of this story much better than the Bittersweet Hollow series.

Scout Vanderhorn is a wonderful character. I really liked her. After her mother dies, she decides to leave her drunk and abusive step-father and seek out her biological father. But when she arrives at The Seacrest, she receives some bad news; her father had passed away during a massive hurricane from a heart attack. Not sure what to do, she finds herself welcomed into the house by her half-sister, Libby, and her husband, Finn. Not long after, she comes across a stranger scavenging on the beach. Drawn to him, she finds herself wanting to get to know him better.

Jack Remington is lost. He has no memory of who he is, only that he must keep hidden. I really liked getting to know this character better and watching him come out of his shell. After seeing a beautiful woman wandering on the beach he has come to call home, he becomes intrigued with her and finds himself drawn to her sadness. As he gets to know her, his attraction turns to love.

This story is told through the eyes of both Scout and Jack in alternative chapters, though Scout's step-father also has his say. I enjoyed this, as it gave me (as a reader/listener) a chance to see what they were thinking and feeling. I enjoyed this story a lot more than The Seacroft, as I loved the romance between Scout and Jack. It didn't have the sappiness/cheesiness that appeared in The Seacroft and felt more believable. The author also injected an element of suspense/danger into the tale by bringing in Scout's step-father and his determination to track his step-daughter down. I won't say much else otherwise I'll end up giving out spoilers. However, I will say that there are several twists I didn't see coming, including Jack's real identity. I found myself in tears as he discovered who he was. It was incredibly touching.

The story ended satisfactorily, without a cliffhanger. It can be read as a stand-alone, though I would recommend you read/listen to the series in order. I am now looking forward to reading/listening to more Paines Creek Beach books (if there are any more) as soon as possible.

Aaron Paul Lazar has written an intriguing tale that captured my imagination. I love his writing style, which is fast paced and entertaining. I also love the flow. I am now looking forward to reading more of his books in the future.

Although this book doesn't have any bad language, there are some slightly explicit scenes of a sexual nature. Therefore, I recommend this book to older teen readers and to adults who love contemporary romance or romantic suspense genres. - Lynn Worton