notrow1

Book Reviews by Lynn

The Callback (Love Behind the Scenes Book 1)
Brandy L. Rivers
Gamma Raiders: The Space Pirate Prince: Alien Alpha Science Fiction Romance
Calista Skye
Rescuing Rayne (Delta Force Heroes Book 1)
Susan Stoker
Watcher's Web: Return of the Aghyrians
Patty Jansen
Spellbound
Patricia Simpson
Dreams of Change (Branches of Emrys Book 2)
Emily A. Lawrence, Brandy L. Rivers

Book Review of The Ninth Birthday Wish by Bruce Arrington

The Ninth Birthday Wish - Florence Jayne, Bruce E. Arrington

Birthday wishes...for twins?

Bril and Arisa, though twins they may be,
Are so very unlike, as you will soon see.
Their wishes are different as Sea is from Land,
But watch what happens to what they had planned!

Bruce Arrington and Florence Jayne team up to being you an unforgettable tale of twins, who each wanted their birthday wish--away from the other. But when their wishes get all mixed up, unintended consequences make for unplanned adventures.

Review 3*

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is a charming illustrated children's story, I really enjoyed it.

Bril and Arisa are twins. Bril is a boy and Arisa is a girl. However, they both have different temperaments. Bril loves to read and play quietly by constructing huge sand castles in the garden sand pit, while Arisa is very active and likes to climb or play with her dolls/action figures. On their ninth birthday they are granted one wish each, but because Arisa becomes impatient and blurts out her wish first, the wishes get mixed up and they find themselves living the other's wish. What happens next is an adventure neither will ever forget.

The story is quite entertaining. Set in part rhyming verse, the story takes the reader on an adventure. However, the flow felt a little jerky due to it being in part rhyme. I would have preferred if it was all rhyme, or all story. Nevertheless, I love the illustrations, which are bright and colourful. The artist, Florence Jayne, has painted the scenes wonderfully. I thought they were charming and I am sure children would like them too. The story has a message for children about tolerance and getting along with siblings (whether twins or not), and overcoming fears to experiencing different things that could turn out to be fun.

Bruce Arrington has written an exciting Middle Grade adventure. I love his fast paced writing style, though the flow is not as good as it could have been due to the jerky part rhyme. Having said that, I would definitely read more of his books in the future.

I highly recommend this book to young readers aged 9-13, but I also recommend this book to adults who love to read YA Middle Grade books filled with adventure. - Lynn Worton