notrow1

Book Reviews by Lynn

Audio/Book Review of The Seacroft: a love story (Paines Creek Beach Book 2) by Aaron Paul Lazar

The Seacroft: a love story (Paines Creek Beach Book 2) - Aaron Paul Lazar

Falling for the wrong guy can be hazardous to your heart.

Vivian Wood is desperate. After her beloved brother dies of a sudden aneurysm and her mother develops Alzheimer’s, she needs a good job and a place to stay. She finds it at The Seacroft, a Cape Cod seaside mansion ruled by a mysterious and demanding woman looking for a personal assistant.

Vivian soon discovers that being broke and having to deal with her cranky new boss are not her only problems. The gardener at The Seacroft, Cody McGraw, is young, gorgeous, and the bane of her existence—until she starts falling for him.

But Vivian isn’t the only one captivated by Cody’s charms. Their sultry employer quickly takes an interest in him—and the developing relationship between Cody and Vivian is threatened by the loss of their jobs and more, should they upset The Seacroft’s exotic mistress.

Set against the breathtaking backdrop of the Cape, The Seacroft is a steamy story of difficult choices, heart-wrenching sacrifice, and the ultimate salvation of love.

Review 4*

This is the second book in the Paines Creek Beach series. I enjoyed it.

I downloaded this book in audiobook format as I have listened to this author's work in this way before and really enjoyed it. This audio book is narrated by Gwendolyn Druyor, who has narrated other books by this author. She has a pleasant voice to listen to, though she has a drawl that I struggled to like, and I enjoyed her narration of the story much better than the Bittersweet Hollow series.

Vivian Wood is a wonderful character. I liked her a lot. When her brother dies from a brain aneurysm and her mother develops Alzheimer’s, she needs a good job to pay for the medical bills. She finds the perfect job, working for Uvi Polanski at The Seacroft. There she meets the gardener, Cody McGraw and is attracted to him.

Cody McGraw is also a fantastic character. I liked him a lot too. He was briefly introduced in The Seacreast at the end as a teenager. In this story, he is in his early twenties and works for Uvi Polanski as her gardener. As a hurricane threatens the coast, Cody and Vivian grow closer together. However, there is danger in the form of Uvi and her jealousy. Can Cody and Viv survive the storm?

This story is told through the eyes of both Viv and Cody in alternative chapters. I enjoyed this, as it gave me (as a reader/listener) a chance to see what they were thinking and feeling. The various characters that dot this tale are interesting too: Viv's mother suffers from Alzheimer's and this broke my heart. I have never had to deal with someone who has this terrible disease myself, but my heart goes out to those who have to. It is worse for those who care for those with the disease than those afflicted with it, I feel, and I am in awe of them even when the stress and despair gets them down. I salute you!
I loved to hate Uvi; she makes the perfect villain. She is creepy, manipulative and slightly insane (in my opinion).
However, I loved meeting Finn and Libby (and their kids) again.

As the story unfolded, I found myself hooked by the storyline and there were several twists and turns that surprised me. Unfortunately, although the descriptions of the characters and places came alive, I thought this story was not as good as book one. Yes, the characters were interesting and the mystery and suspense was high, but I felt the dialogue was a little too sappy/cheesy in places. The romance between Viv and Cody is incredibly sweet. However, Uvi's manipulation of both Cody and Viv's need for employment made me feel ill at times. I know that such things happen in real life and it really makes my blood boil. This gave the story a dark undertone that resonated through the book. There are several scenes that had me sitting on the edge of my seat, though I enjoyed the one with Viv and her mom at the home during the flood. The story ends satisfactorily, without a cliffhanger, and I am now looking forward to reading/listening to The Seadog as soon as possible.

Aaron Paul Lazar has written an intriguing tale that captured my imagination. I love his writing style, which is fast paced and entertaining. I also love the flow. I am now looking forward to reading more of his books in the future.

Although this book doesn't have any bad language, there are some slightly explicit scenes of a sexual nature. Therefore, I recommend this book to older teen readers and to adults who love contemporary romance or romantic suspense genres. - Lynn Worton