notrow1

Book Reviews by Lynn

The Callback (Love Behind the Scenes Book 1)
Brandy L. Rivers
Gamma Raiders: The Space Pirate Prince: Alien Alpha Science Fiction Romance
Calista Skye
Rescuing Rayne (Delta Force Heroes Book 1)
Susan Stoker
Watcher's Web: Return of the Aghyrians
Patty Jansen
Spellbound
Patricia Simpson
Dreams of Change (Branches of Emrys Book 2)
Emily A. Lawrence, Brandy L. Rivers

Audio/Book Review of Devil's Creek (Bittersweet Hollow Book 2) by Aaron Paul Lazar

Devil's Creek (Bittersweet Hollow) (Volume 2) - Aaron Paul Lazar

Grace may have problems, but Anderson Rockwell loves his sassy, spicy, and slightly unfaithful wife. A recovered heroin addict who’s now struggling with sex addiction, Grace tries her best to control her inner demons. She’s relapsing less often. And when she does, she always calls, always comes home. Until this time.

The man calls himself Chandler. He found Grace on Facebook under a false name, and lured her away with promises of excitement, danger, and plenty of steam. But when Grace gives in to temptation and follows the trail, she finds herself at the mercy of a monster who knows who she really is, and whose sole obsession is revenge—on Anderson.

Time is running out for Anderson to rescue Grace from deadly danger that’s beyond imagination, before the past drowns them both for good. Because this time, it’s personal.

NOTE: This book contains explicit sexual content. For adults only!

Review 4*

This is the second book in the Bittersweet Hollow series. I really enjoyed it!

This audio book is again narrated by Gwendolyn Druyor. I must admit that I enjoyed listening to her a lot more than I did the first book. Maybe because I became used to her reading style. She has a pleasant voice but she, whether by accident or design, made the main character Grace sound incredibly whiny. Other listeners may disagree with me.

Grace Rockwell is a complex character. I am not sure if I liked her when I first met her in Devil's Lake, though she certainly was the bravest (or stupidest) character I'd met in a book. She's Portia's (from Devil's Lake) younger sister, and had gone through hell when her older sister was kidnapped and turned to drugs to cope years before. Now clean and married to Anderson, whom she loves, she finds herself in a bind when her libido gets her caught in a dangerous situation.

Anderson Rockwell is a fantastic character. I really liked this Professor and felt that he and Grace made a strange couple. However, they say opposites attract and these two certainly have their issues. When Grace unexpectedly gets dragged into danger by an old nemesis from Anderson's past, he's terrified that history will repeat itself.

This book is told through the eyes of both Grace and Anderson. Though Anderson's tale starts many years before he meets Grace. I enjoyed getting to know Anderson better this way. However, this also confused me at first, though my confusion cleared up as soon as I realised why the author had started the story this way. Chandler is not who Grace thinks he is. He is a skeleton from Anderson's closet that has come out to haunt him. This character is incredibly creepy and totally insane. Why does this family seem to attract the loonies? Anyway, I found myself completely hooked by the intense suspense that built up though the story. There are several twists that I didn't see coming. The danger Grace faces is eerily similar to what her sister faced but, the author gave this story a sinister twist that sent a chill down my spine. Grace will need some serious psychological help for her problems (drug and sex addiction), though I am glad that Anderson is so supportive of her. Their marriage may be rocky, but they are both determined to face their demons together. That can only make their relationship stronger.

I reached the end of the book with mixed feelings. I was sad that the story ended, but happy with the way it concluded. I am now looking forward to reading/listening to the next book in the series, Devil's Spring as soon as I can.

Aaron Paul Lazar has written a fantastic tale that captured my imagination. I love his writing style, which is fast paced and entertaining. The story flowed wonderfully (apart from my issue with the narrator). I am a huge fan of this author. I am now looking forward to reading more of his books in the future.

Although this book doesn't have any bad language, there are some explicit scenes of a sexual nature. Therefore, I recommend this book to older teen readers (18+) and to adults who love contemporary romance or romantic suspense genres. - Lynn Worton