notrow1

Josh Anvil and the Indomitable Power
Kallie Ennever, John Albers, Bruce E. Arrington
The Vampire's Accidental Wife
Kristen Painter
The Dragon Finds Forever (Nocturne Falls Book 7)
Kristen Painter
Sci-fi Nights: Alpha bad boys & wild girls of futuristic romance
Mina Carter, Bianca D'Arc, Jessa Slade, Cathryn Cade, Calinda B
Release By Treaty
Travis Luedke, Kayla Stonor
Jimmy Threepwood And The Veil of Darkness
Rich Pitman
Captured Innocence (CSA Case Files)
Kennedy Layne
The Darkest Night
Gena Showalter
Mercenary Instinct (Mandrake Company)
Ruby Lionsdrake

Book Review of Eumundi And Friends: Hot Air Ballooning: The Adventures Begin by Stuart Anner & Kristen Anner

Eumundi And Friends: Hot Air Ballooning: The Adventures Begin - Cristina Birtea, Kristen Anner, Stuart Anner

Hot Air Ballooning is the first book in a series of children's books about the adventurous and fun-loving Eumundi Mouse and her friends.

Meet Eumundi, (You-MUN-Dee) who is no ordinary mouse. She is an adventurer! In today’s adventure, Eumundi is so excited because she will fly high into the sky in a hot air balloon. Join her as she meets new friends, Julia and Hammy and together they take the ride of their lives.

How do the friends meet?
Who is flying the balloon?
What adventures do the new friends get up to on their journey?
And how will they get down?

Ideally suited for children aged 7 to 9, however will also suit younger children when read to by an adult.

Review 4*

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is the first book in a children's adventure series. I loved it!

Eumundi (pronounced You-MUN-Dee) is a wonderful character. She is a mouse who loves to go on adventures. I found her to be incredibly brave, impetuous and determined to have fun.

I was contacted by the author to see if I would be willing to read the book and, because I am mentoring reluctant readers at a local school, I thought I would give this a go and get their feedback too.

I really love the illustrations which accompanied the story. The pictures drawn by Cristina Birtea brought the characters and story alive. I love the detail that has gone into them.

I started to read this book with one of my students and, although she is nine, she has a younger reading age and struggled with some of the words. And, because she is a reluctant reader, she also found the going hard so became restless and bored after a few pages. I therefore stopped reading it with her. However, I decided to read this on my own later. I found it to be a fun, enjoyable story.

Eumundi is joined by two other characters on her hot ballooning adventure. They are: Julia, a very posh mouse and Hammy, a hamster who stows away in the picnic basket. The story takes the reader on an exciting adventure through the skies in a hot air balloon. I have always wanted to do one of these trips, but after my sister went up in one and didn't recommend the landing, I decided not to. However, I digress - back to the review.

Although my student struggled with the words (especially Eumundi's name pronunciation amongst other things), I am sure that young readers who are not reluctant at reading will enjoy this tale as much as I did. Being as I am an adult and not the intended age group for this book, I did find some of the things Eumundi did (like throwing out the sand bags for instance) a little counter-productive. I get that to get lift in a hot air balloon you need to get rid of weight, but you would need weight to act as ballast when wanting to return back to the ground surely? Ugh! Physics was never my strong suit at school. But, having said that, children wouldn't consider this strange. The story ends happily and I would definitely consider reading more of Eumundi's adventures in the future. I am just sorry my reluctant reader was not able to finish it as I am sure she would have enjoyed it once she got into it. I will keep trying.

Stuart Anner & Kristen Anner are father and daughter and have written an exciting adventure story for young middle grade aged children. I love their writing style, which is fast paced but not rushed, and the flow was wonderful.

I highly recommend this children's adventure books to children aged 7-10 and to adults who love reading YA middle grade adventure stories. - Lynn Worton