notrow1

Book Reviews by Lynn

Tamed by a Tiger (Eternal Mates Paranormal Romance Series Book 13)
Felicity E. Heaton
Fifty Shades of Grey
E.L. James

Book Review of Heart on Fire (Combustible Book 1) by Brandy L Rivers

Heart on Fire - Tara Shaner, Brandy L. Rivers

One night to be someone else.

Mila Day had plans. When her lover demands she give up her dreams to be a trophy wife, she leaves. Wanting to forget the wasted years, she ends up at a party in the next state, craving one wild night of abandon. It was exactly what she wanted.

No strings.
No names.

But it’s not exactly what she gets. Six years later, she’s a happy high school teacher with a beautiful daughter she will always Cherish.

No regrets.

Kyle Blake is a fireman who has been burned. He’s happy alone until he hears joyous laughter next door. He finds it hard to resist Mila, and her little girl, who steal his heart.

When pieces of her past surface, she’ll question everything.

Can they survive the truth?

Review 4*

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author for an honest review.

This is the first book in the Combustible contemporary romance series. I loved it!

Mila Day is a wonderful character. I like her but she has a nasty habit of not seeing herself as others see her and constantly belittles herself. Whether this is because of her relationship with her ex-boyfriend, I am not sure. However, after breaking up with him, she decides to live on the wild side for one night and has a one night stand with "The Phantom of the Opera" at a costume party. That one night changes her life forever. Moving to a new town with her daughter six years later, she meets her charming new neighbour, Kyle Blake.

Kyle Blake is also a wonderful character. I liked him a lot. He is kind, considerate and loving. It also doesn't hurt that he's a fireman. Who doesn't love a man in uniform? When he meets his new neighbour and her daughter, he is immediately drawn to them. When Mila's past threatens to tear her family apart, Kyle will do everything he can to keep them together.

Having previously read paranormal romances written by this author, I was eager to read this contemporary romance. I started to read this book and quickly became hooked. The story is told through the eyes of both Mila and Kyle, which allowed me to see what they were both thinking and feeling. I found myself on a roller coaster of emotion from beginning to end. I am a sucker for contemporary romances with sexy firemen, so meeting Kyle's friends and colleagues was a thrill too. I also fell in love with Mila's daughter, Cherish. She is so cute and lovable.

This story felt a little predictable as it followed the traditional romantic theme, but there's a lot of heat between the main protagonists which made up for it. The characters themselves felt lifelike and likable. I love flawed characters like Mila, as they come alive on the page. However, I think Kyle could have had a few more flaws as he felt a little too perfect to me. But, then again, what do I know? Other readers may think he is better without them. I'll leave you to make up your own mind.

I reached the end of the book (which doesn't end in a cliffhanger) and was left with a happy, satisfied feeling. I am now looking forward to reading the next book in the series, Falling Star, as soon as possible.

Brandy L. Rivers has written an entertaining contemporary romance series. I love her fast paced writing style, and the flow is wonderful. Her characters are lifelike and likable. With her ability to write in both the paranormal and contemporary romance genres, she is one of my go to authors when I'm in the mood for a sexy read.

Due to explicit scenes of a sexual nature, as well as use of bad language, I do not recommend this book to readers under the age of 18. However, I do recommend this book if you love hot erotic contemporary romances full of sexy firemen and determined women. - Lynn Worton