notrow1

Book Reviews by Lynn

Book Review of Ferno the Fire Dragon (Beast Quest #1) by Adam Blade

Ferno The Fire Dragon - Adam Blade, Ezra Tucker, Stephen Cole

An evil wizard has enchanted the magical beasts of Avantia - only a true hero can free the beasts and stop them from destroying the land. Is Tom the hero Avantia has been waiting for? Join Tom as he braves Ferno the fire dragon...

Review 4*

This is the first book in a fantasy series for children aged 5 - 8. I enjoyed it.

Tom is a wonderful character. He is a young boy whose father was Taladon the Swift, one of the Knights of Avantia. Sent on a quest to free the fire dragon, Ferno, from the curse of Malvel, a dark wizard, he finds himself facing dangers and making new friends.

I initially bought this book to help a couple of reluctant readers I am mentoring get into reading. I decided I would read it myself to see what it's like. The larger font used in the book is easy on the eyes and makes it easier for children to focus onto.

This is a really enjoyable story. I was quickly caught up in the tale. I liked meeting King Hugo and the wizard, Aduro. They are determined to break Malvel's hold over the dragons of Avantia. I also liked meeting Elenna, a young girl that befriends Tom, and her pet wolf called Silver. The story takes the reader through an exciting adventure, and a quest that makes them develop an emotional bond with the characters. The danger Tom and Elenna faces had me sitting on the edge of my seat. Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed by the ending. As the story reached its climax the intensity fizzled for me somewhat, even though it ended happily; this could be because I am not the intended age range. Nevertheless, I think that this is an intriguing series for the younger reader. Hopefully, this story will capture my charges imaginations as much as it caught mine.

I highly recommend this book to children aged 5 to 8 years old. I would also recommend it to adults who like reading young to middle grade YA fantasy books. - Lynn Worton