notrow1

Book Reviews by Lynn

The Callback (Love Behind the Scenes Book 1)
Brandy L. Rivers
Gamma Raiders: The Space Pirate Prince: Alien Alpha Science Fiction Romance
Calista Skye
Rescuing Rayne (Delta Force Heroes Book 1)
Susan Stoker
Watcher's Web: Return of the Aghyrians
Patty Jansen
Spellbound
Patricia Simpson
Dreams of Change (Branches of Emrys Book 2)
Emily A. Lawrence, Brandy L. Rivers

Book Review of Mind Games (Demon Trappers Book 5) by Jana Oliver

Mind Games: A Demon Trappers Novel (Volume 5) - Jana Oliver

A Demon Trappers Novel
Riley Blackthorne’s life as a Demon Trapper is about to hit the wall. Knowing she will always be a target for those who want to exploit her “connections” with Hell, she’s learning defensive magic. It seems the only way to ensure she and her fiancé, Denver Beck, have a future together. But not everyone in Atlanta, or at the Vatican, is pleased by this news. In fact, some want to ban the use of all magic, and Riley would make the perfect scapegoat.

As a new demonic enemy stalks her, Guild politics roil the city, throwing the trappers into chaos. To protect herself and the man she loves, Riley will be forced to choose: continue in her legendary father’s footsteps, or carve her own path. A path that may well lead to her losing everything she so desperately seeks to protect.

Review 6*

This is the fifth book in The Demon Trappers series. I absolutely loved it!

Riley Blackthorne is a fantastic character. She has made a few mistakes, both personally and career-wise, but that just makes her human. I love her feisty attitude and have enjoyed watching her grow from a sixteen year old with a chip on her shoulder in the first book, The Demon Trapper's Daughter (US) or Forsaken (UK), to a determined young woman of nineteen in this book, who has literally faced both Heaven and Hell. Being a demon trapper is not an easy job, and being the only female in a male dominated career is definitely not easy either. Nevertheless, Riley can definitely kick Hell's ass one demon at a time.

I have been eagerly awaiting the release of this book and pre-ordered my copy when I found out it was available. Unfortunately, due to my large reading list, I wasn't able to read it when it was released in October last year.

I started to read this book and didn't put it down until I had finished it. The story is told through the eyes of both Riley and Beck. I felt like I was meeting family members or friends again after a long absence. I have missed these characters a lot, especially Denver Beck and the Kleptofiend (AKA Magpie demon) that began this journey for me. Denver Beck (or Backwards Boy as Riley calls him) became my first book boyfriend way back in 2011 when I read Forsaken. He is now training to become a Grand Master, and engaged to Riley, who is now a Journeyman. I also liked meeting a few of the other characters like Mortimer and Ayden, although I still have reservations about Lord Ozymandias. He didn't enamor himself to me when I first met him in the earlier books, and now he's only just bearable. Yes, he made an error of judgement and appears to be repentant, but there's something about him that still sends a shiver up my back. I suppose it's because he's the most powerful Necromancer in Atlanta. Simon, Riley's ex-boyfriend makes an appearance too. He's another character who has grown a lot since the first book.

This story is again full of danger, action and adventure. The demons are scarier (we are dealing with Grade five's (Geofiends) and Archfiends here, amongst others) and someone is determined to undermine the Atlanta Demon Trappers Guild. I must admit that this book took me on an emotional roller coaster ride from beginning to end. I also found myself shedding a few tears too. When I reached the end of the book, I found myself becoming extremely sad once more. As I said before, these characters have become my friends and saying goodbye is a bittersweet experience. I don't know if any more books will be written with Riley and Beck in them, but I would love to read more books from the Demon Trappers world, as it intrigues and terrifies me in equal measure.

Jana Oliver has written a fantastic series. I love her descriptions and the attention to detail which made me feel like I was actually there in the thick of things. Her world building is exceptional and extremely lifelike. I also love her fast paced writing style and the flow was wonderful. She has a definite fan in me. I have a few of her other books on my Kindle to read yet and I am hoping to get to them soon.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book, and series, to everyone who loves to read books in the YA and Urban Fantasy genres. - Lynn Worton