notrow1

Josh Anvil and the Indomitable Power
Kallie Ennever, John Albers, Bruce E. Arrington
The Vampire's Accidental Wife
Kristen Painter
The Dragon Finds Forever (Nocturne Falls Book 7)
Kristen Painter
Sci-fi Nights: Alpha bad boys & wild girls of futuristic romance
Mina Carter, Bianca D'Arc, Jessa Slade, Cathryn Cade, Calinda B
Release By Treaty
Travis Luedke, Kayla Stonor
Jimmy Threepwood And The Veil of Darkness
Rich Pitman
Captured Innocence (CSA Case Files)
Kennedy Layne
The Darkest Night
Gena Showalter
Mercenary Instinct (Mandrake Company)
Ruby Lionsdrake

Audio/Book Review of Tipping Point (Spire: Action-Thriller Book 1) by Simon Rosser

Tipping Point - Simon Rosser

Tipping Point: There will be no return...

1903: The Arctic's fabled Northwest Passage is navigated for the first time. 2012: An eminent climatologist is found dead in his London apartment. For Robert Spire, an environmental lawyer, what seems like a standard executor's appointment in his client's will, turns out to be anything but, as he is thrust into an international conspiracy involving a terrorist plan to push the Arctic to its tipping point, and the world to disaster...

TIPPING POINT is a fast-paced climate-fiction action-thriller with a perfect blend of suspense, action-adventure and thrills to keep you turning the pages until the very end.

TWO DEAD CLIMATOLOGISTS...
AN INTERNATIONAL CONSPIRACY...
A LOOMING ECOLOGICAL DISASTER...

When eminent climatologist Dr Dale Stanton - in the process of studying the Atlantic Ocean's Thermohaline Circulation - is found dead in his London apartment, environmental lawyer, Robert Spire, is given the task to administer a large legacy left by him to global warming organisations. The job should have been straightforward, until a second climatologist, Dr Jack Bannister drops dead on the other side of the Atlantic.

AN INTERNATIONAL CONSPIRACY

Spire's client - suspicious of her son's death - asks him to travel to San Francisco to investigate Dr Jack Bannister's death. Whilst there, Spire learns of a plan to seed the Arctic Ocean with an experimental substance - the aim, to prevent, or at least slow the Arctic's melting ice. A Russian female assassin is tracking Spire's every move however, suggesting that someone clearly has other plans for the region, and wants the climatologists dead at all costs.

A LOOMING ECOLOGICAL DISASTER

As evidence of increased glacial melt in Greenland and reduction in the Arctic ice mounts, Spire becomes determined to join the joint US/French expedition to seed the Arctic. He soon finds however, that the lives of all on board are in peril as he discovers a plan that threatens to push the Arctic to its tipping point and the Earth to disaster...

TIPPING POINT is an Action-Adventure eco-thriller which will have you racing from London, over to San Francisco and along the Northwest Passage to the Arctic.

Review 4*

I received a complimentary Audible code from the author in return for an honest review.

This is the first book in the Robert Spires series of thrillers. I really enjoyed it.

This book is narrated by Chris MacDonnell, who did an excellent job of bringing the story and characters to life. I did find, however, some of his reading pace a little too slow for my taste. His voice became so soothing that I felt myself nodding off. Now, this is not really a bad thing. However, as this is meant to be a thriller, falling asleep listening to it is!

Robert Spire is an interesting character. I liked him a lot. He is an environmental lawyer. He becomes involved in a mystery when he is made executor of Dr. Dale Stanton's will. As Robert delves deeper into the mystery of his charge's death, danger lurks in shadowy corners. Will Robert be able to find the truth, or will he die trying?

This is an intriguing story. I must admit that I did find the story a little difficult to get into at first. The story has several different points of view from several of the characters. I did find this a little confusing at times. Nevertheless, as the story unfolded, I began to enjoy it. There are several characters I liked, though a few of them fell foul of the Russian assassin, Ksenyia Petrovsky. They included Dr. Stanton, Francois Trimaud and Doris Stanton amongst others. However, there were a few other characters I didn't care for. These were the brothers' Farhim and Faric, as well as their servant, Gomez. These three men made me shudder! You'll have to read or listen to the book to find out why.

This story delves heavily into climate change and the science of reversing it. However, although I agreed with most of the author's views with regard to certain things, there were aspects, I felt, that were not explored well enough, or did not answer fully my own thoughts on climate change. Granted, this is a thriller and not a philosophical debate, so things were not as clear cut. In a way, I can understand the reasons behind Farhim and Faric's actions, even though I wouldn't condone it. I did find, however, some of the scenes to be rather drawn out, which made it lose some of the flow. A thriller is meant to build suspense for the reader. Unfortunately, I only found the last third of the book to be thrilling, as it culminated in a dangerous cat and mouse chase with the Russian.

Greed is a terrible vise. Unfortunately, I could see something like what happened in the book happening for real, which makes me incredibly sad. I have no answer to climate change. However, we need to all work together to slow down the impact we have on the atmosphere. We also need to plan better for more severe storms, floods, droughts and other weather related issues. We need to adapt to the weather quicker. Mother nature/ Earth is responding to our parasitic activity, she is completely within her rights to do so.

Simon Rosser has written a thought provoking action thriller. I love his writing style, though I did find it not as fast paced as other thrillers I have read it the past. This also affected the flow in my opinion. Other readers may not have the same response as myself.

Due to some scenes of a gruesome nature, I do not recommend this book to younger readers, or those of a nervous disposition. However, I highly recommend this book if you love spy thrillers, crime thrillers and mysteries. - Lynn Worton