notrow1

Book Reviews by Lynn

Audio/Book Review of The Sun Dwellers (The Dwellers Saga Book 3) by David Estes

The Sun Dwellers - David Estes

With those she's closest to dying around her, Adele embarks on a secret mission to the Sun Realm to assassinate the President. Along the way she'll uncover secrets about her relationship with Tristan that she might not be ready to face.

Tristan has a secret, too, one that's been eating him up inside ever since he met Adele. Will he reveal all, and risk the loss of friendship and love at a time when he needs it the most?

At the same time, Adele's mother, General Rose, must lead her soldiers into battle to face the sun dweller army in the hopes of holding them off until Adele can complete her mission. Can she outlast the strength of President Nailin's elite fighting force?

There's only one truth in their world: someone must die.

Review 5*

This is the third book in a fantastic YA Dystopian series. I loved it!

Adele is a wonderful character. I liked her feisty, sarcastic attitude from the beginning but, like any teen, she can be a little prickly and defensive. I love how she has grown in character throughout the series. She is a teenage girl living in the Moon Realm, one of the Tri-Realms created when the earth was faced with a mass extinction event when a meteor was found to be hurtling to Earth. Sent on a mission by her mother to the Sun Realm, she finds herself facing even more danger. As secrets are revealed, can she survive the oncoming battle, or will President Nailin succeed?

Tristan is also a wonderful character and the heir apparent to the Presidency of the Tri-Realms. I liked his sense of honour and decency. He has a more compassionate attitude than his tyrannical father. Facing his father is not going to be easy, but he is determined to confront him on his own terms. Wanting to reveal a secret he's been hiding for years, will he lose everything he holds dear?

Having previously downloaded the other two books in audio format, I decided to download this too. This audiobook is again narrated by the two readers, Julia Whelan and Will Damron. They both did another fantastic job bringing the story and characters to life. Sometimes, having two narrators can be an off-putting experience for some readers, but I have no problem with it. They have pleasant and clear voices to listen to and I would definitely listen to more books read by them both, whether together or alone.

I started to listen to the story and was quickly hooked; it continues from the end of book two. This book is again told from both Adele's and Tristan's points of view in alternating chapters. This gives the reader an insight into the protagonists thoughts and feelings, as well as scenes that play out without the other character being in the picture.

Tawni has a more prominent role in this book. I really like her. She's very resourceful and just as feisty as Adele. Roc is still one of my favourite character's with his charm and easy-going personality. Trevor is also a fantastic character. I originally thought that he was placed into book two to make a romance triangle between Adele and Tristan. However, I was pleased to find out that this was not the case. He is like a brother to Adele, though I think he would have liked to have been more.

There are several twists and turns that kept me riveted. I found myself on a huge emotional roller coaster ride from beginning to end; laughing and crying in equal measure. I love the shopping scene, as well as the body surfing one. There is a huge fight scene that packs such a huge emotional punch that I had to stop listening to it to dry my eyes (a total ugly cry, if you get my meaning). Once I composed myself, I continued listening to it. As the story rolled on to it's conclusion, I felt sad because I didn't want it to end. As it ends on another cliffhanger, I guess I shall have to read The Earth Dwellers, since it's not out in audio book yet. However, I will need to continue with reading the Country Saga first, as The Earth Dwellers ties up both sagas.

David Estes has written a fantastic dystopian novel that has turned me into a huge fan of his. I love his writing style, which is fast paced and the flow is extremely fluid. His characters come alive, and the descriptions of the environs left me breathless. I am looking forward to reading more of his books in the foreseeable future.

I highly recommend this book if you love books like The Hunger Games, Divergent and The Maze Runner, or YA, Dystopian or Post Apocalyptic genres. - Lynn Worton