notrow1

Book Reviews by Lynn

NEST: Retribution
David J Antocci
Progress: 100 %
Jarek (Scifi Alien Weredragon Romance) (Dragons of Preor Book 1)
Erin Tate, Celia Kyle
Progress: 200/200 pages
Fury of Surrender
Coreene Callahan

The Book Thief

The Book Thief - Trudy White, Markus Zusak Review 7 out of 5I will start by saying that I had never heard of The Book Thief before I was given a copy to read for World Book Night. It was a serious oversight on my part! It is a FANTASTIC book!This book is narrated by Death. I was so used to reading a straight story, that it took me a while to get used to the lack of dialogue. I'm not saying there was no dialogue, just not the "he said, she said" variety. Once I got used to the "voice" telling the story, I found myself caught up in the tale of a nine-year-old girl growing up in a time of war and hardship.Liesel is a great character, full of independence and spirit that made me like her. She's a fighter. She stands up for what she believes. This is an extremely dangerous thing to do in Nazi Germany, but it made me cheer for her.There are also some great characters living on Himmel Street. Rudy Steiner is Liesel's best friend and ally. They get up to all sorts - thievery being one of them!Then there is Mama and Papa, Liesel's foster parents. Mama has a sharp tongue, but she hides a huge heart. Papa is the first person to break through Liesel's defences, and it's his love and attention that makes her love the written word, as well as him.Then there is Max Vandenberg, a Jew. He has a profound affect on not only Liesel, but myself.Death is present through the whole book, and as he narrates the story of The Book Thief, he bring's his own unique outlook to a brutal time. I actually liked Death, he is witty and very observant. There is a saying, "It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it" and it definitely applies to him.There is also another saying, "The pen is mightier than the sword" and in the case of The Book Thief, it is certainly true. Words, whether spoken or written, can have the most profound affect. They can build worlds, or destroy them. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading The Book Thief, and if you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend that you do so. It is a book full of emotion - love, loss, joy, anger, fervour and sadness, but it is the lasting legacy of words that will stay with me forever.