notrow1

Coreene Callahan
Progress: 100 %

Book Review of Fae - The Sins of the Wyrde by Graham Austin-King

Fae - The Sins of the Wyrde (The Riven Wyrde Saga Book 3) - Graham Austin-King

The thrilling conclusion to the Riven Wyrde Saga.

With her king’s plans laid bare, Selena must take drastic steps as the invaders push deeper into Anlan, driven by the schemes of the Sealord. The war between Anlish and Bjornmen rages, even as the fae remain unchecked. Politics is not merely a game for mankind however, and within the fae court ancient plans are coming to fruition, while the armies of the fae are readied in preparation for the purge.

The answers to the mysteries of the Wyrde may already rest with Devin and Obair. Their shocking discovery may hold the key to the Wyrde and the lost secrets of the druids, but the price is higher than anybody could have imagined.

Review 6*

I received a complimentary copy from the author in return for an honest review. However, when the book became available to pre-order, I placed my order right away.

This is the third and concluding story in The Riven Wyrde Saga. I absolutely LOVED it!

First off, I would like to say that I absolutely love the covers in this series. I am definitely considering getting them in print too, just so I can look at the beautiful artwork. Each book cover is amazing and the attention to detail by the artist is exquisite.

I normally do a character breakdown in the reviews I write, but there are just too many characters in this book to do one for all of them, so I will just jump straight into my review.

I love dark fantasy novels, and because I really loved the first two books in the series, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one!

The story continues from the end of the second book, and is told through several points of view. I loved this, because it gave the story an almost film-like quality. I loved meeting not only the previous characters, but new ones too, who give a different perspective on events. I found myself gripped by horror at the savagery of the Fae. Miriam, Devin's mother, is still alive, but has suffered greatly at the hands of Ileriel, the Fae who captured her. Klöss and the Bjornmen find themselves fighting for their lives, and he makes a decision that could see him hanged as a traitor. Meanwhile, Selena (who happens to be one of my favourite characters) is still dealing with political machinations and bureaucracy of a King who won't lift a finger to help the people of Anlan fight against the Fae. I kept wanting to say to her, "You go girl!". Devin and Obair have a difficult task ahead of them, but could the price for fixing the Wyrde be too high? I thought so, but suggest you read the book to decide for yourself.

There are several twists and turns, not to mention the occasional surprise, that kept me riveted with this tale. Suffice it to say that it is just as intense and enthralling as the first two books. The descriptions of the people and scenes were extremely vivid and I could picture everything in my mind's eye like a movie. In fact, I could see this as a rival to Tolken's "Lord Of The Rings" on the big screen with ease. Unfortunately, I was also left with a few unanswered questions when I reached the end of the book, due to what I perceived as loose ends. However, I don't want to say what those questions are in case I accidentally give away a spoiler. I am sad to say goodbye to this saga, as the characters have become my friends. I do hope that the author visits the land of Anlan and The Barren Isles in the future, even if it's a novella, as I would love to know how everyone is doing.

Graham Austin-King has written an exciting, dark fantasy novel that kept me turning the pages! Although it can be more difficult to better the first book in some cases, the second was a lot better. However, this book is superb! I think that this book is a lot stronger and shows this author's growth in confidence with his characters and storyline. I love his fast paced writing style and the story flowed wonderfully from beginning to end. The characters came alive on the page and felt extremely lifelike. I'm definitely adding this author to my Favourite Authors' list and will read anything else that he writes.

Warning: This is NOT a children's fairy tale! I do not recommend this book to young children or those of a nervous disposition, as there are scenes of violence and gore (battle scenes amongst others) that could be very disturbing to some readers. However, I highly recommend this book to older teens and adults alike if you love dark fantasy novels. - Lynn Worton