notrow1

Book Reviews by Lynn

Book Review of Ahoy, Out There! (Ahoy, Mischaps!) (Volume 2) by M.M. (Miss Mae)

Ahoy, Out There! - Miss Mae, Patrick McCuen

It’s time to set sail once more with that confectionery plantation owner Sir O. Yuri Wiseguy-eh and his crew from Gum Drop Island. Thrust upon an adventurous journey into parts unknown, they meet new, and not very friendly…okay, they’re some downright ornery— characters. Their mission —which they accepted with many a hesitation— includes a hair-tingling encounter with a family of widowed spider sisters, a dispute with the furious mob of ugly Babes, and a creepy, chilly, evil laughing confrontation with the one-and-only I.B. Nosey seeking mad scientist Dr. Ag O. Nee. (Whew. That sentence is a mouthful, dear readers!) And will our heroes discover what they seek? Will they save the day? Will anyone care? Don’t you think it might be kinda fun to join us on this venture and find out?

Review 5*

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is the second book in the Ahoy series. I absolutely LOVED it!

I usually do character breakdowns in my reviews, but I have a little trouble doing this for the main character, who narrates this story in the style of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, as she actually didn't have a name and is only known as The Narrator. However, we join Sir O Yuri Wiseguy-eh and well known Pukelitzer prize winning journalist, I.B. Nosy on another zany adventure, this time to locate and rescue silliness and imagination who have been kidnapped.

This story has a fantastical plot, which kept me hooked from beginning to end. There are several references and play on words that would go over a child's head, but adults would pick them up with ease. This is a story full of adventure that is so nonsensical and humourous, I found myself highly entertained.

There are some old faces that appear in this adventure. There's Moose, the chocolate loving plantation worker; Heathcliff, a possum who happens to be a fantastic detective and Speck and Spang, two eagle-eyed vultures. The reader is also introduced to some brand new characters, ranging from two widowed spiders (and an unwed sister) to a singing slug called Sal. I must admit that my new favourite character has got to be Spit, a small purple snake with the largest set of eyelashes known to adorn a snake. I also love Mrs. Cupboard. She's scary, I certainly wouldn't want to get on her bad side! This story has a mix of nursery rhyme and fairytale characters, some are recognizable, but others not so much. However, this didn't stop me from enjoying the tale. I did feel that the Techno-Monster could have been a little more challenging for the Gum Drop crew, but all in all, it was a fantastic read! I am now looking forward to getting this book in audio format, because I loved Owen McCuen's narration of the first book, Ahoy Gum Drop!

I am not sure what age range this book is aimed at, but I sat with a smile on my face for most of the story. This story, however, would be ideal for children to listen to at bedtime.

Miss Mae has written a wonderfully imaginative story that will enchant adults and children alike. I love her writing style, which is fast paced enough to keep even the most fidgety youngster enthralled, and the flow was wonderful. I am a huge fan of Miss Mae and I will be keeping an eye out for more of her books in the future.

I highly recommend this book to children aged 5 upwards and to adults looking for a quick, light read. - Lynn Worton