notrow1

Book Reviews by Lynn

Book Review of The Braid: A Short Story by Angela Yuriko Smith

The Braid: A Short Story - Angela Yuriko Smith

There is something wrong with Cambria's new babysitting job when she gets drawn into a little girl's game of pulling faces—with no one. Cambria's simple world begins to fragment. It all starts when you tie the knot.

The Braid is a satisfying short story that will resonate with readers long after the story is closed.

Review 4*

This is a chilling short story. I loved it!

Cambria is a babysitter, looking after a little girl called Missy while her parents are out. When she catches her charge making grotesque faces, Cambria realises that something is not right.

This is an atmospheric short story that sent chills down my spine. I am not a huge fan of horror, but having previously read this author's debut horror story and enjoying it, I knew that I would be in for a ride. However, even I was surprised at how easily I was drawn into this tale. It is extremely easy to picture the scenes as they unfolded due to the descriptive prose. I felt empathy with Cambria as her sanity was called into question. Was the house haunted? Or is it just a wild imagination that leads to an unravelling mind? I don't know the answer to those questions, but this story sure captured my imagination and I was very grateful that I read this during my lunch half hour and not at night. I would have had nightmares otherwise!

I would have liked the story to be a little bit longer, but I'm not sure if the intensity would have been kept if it were. That being said, I am looking forward to reading more of this author's work in the future.

Angela Yuriko Smith has written an intriguing short horror story. I loved her fast paced writing style, which was very descriptive and gave the story intensity. The flow was wonderful too. Her writing has improved a lot and I will definitely be adding this author onto my favourite authors' list.

I highly recommend this novella if you love horror or ghost stories. - Lynn Worton