notrow1

Book Reviews by Lynn

NEST: Retribution
David J Antocci
Progress: 100 %
Jarek (Scifi Alien Weredragon Romance) (Dragons of Preor Book 1)
Erin Tate, Celia Kyle
Fury of Surrender
Coreene Callahan

Audio/Book Review of Miss Penelope's Letters by Miss Mae

Miss Penelope's Letters - Miss Mae

The letters arrive unsigned. The writer demands that Penelope meet him in one of London's most ill-reputed and darkest streets. When she dares to keep the assignations, she encounters a man in a black mask who leaves her breathless from his stolen kiss. Yet he claims the reason for their surreptitious tryst is an honorable one. Should she believe him? Can he be trusted?

Review 4*

I received a gifted complimentary copy of this book in audio format from the author in return for an honest review.

This is an intriguing romantic mystery short story set in historical London. I really enjoyed it!

The audio book is narrated by Marcus Hyde, who had previously narrated another one of this author's books, "See No Evil, My Pretty Lady", which I also loved. I love his narration, which is clear and precise. He brought all of the characters to life and gave them their own tone of voice and personality. I would definitely listen to this gentleman's voice in other audio books in the future.

Penelope is a wonderful character. She is a housekeeper in Lord Wellington's household. She receives a letter, which sets her into an assignation with a mysterious stranger.

This book is only one and a half hours long, but it is a very entertaining story to listen to. I was quickly thrown into the danger and the action, but felt a little lost at first, as there was not a lot of context in the beginning. It was only as the story unfolded that the mystery reason for the first letter, which saw Penelope and the stranger first meet, began to make sense. What puzzled me was: Why would Penelope meet someone she didn't know in an ill-reputed street without at least a chaperon, especially in the historical setting? It just wasn't done in those days, as far as I know. And, how did she and they mysterious stranger end up being assaulted to begin with? That not withstanding, the short story was a fantastic romantic mystery full of twists and turns. The mysterious stranger only known as "Soldier" is an intriguing character. His mystique remains through most of the story and is only revealed close to the end. I must admit that his identity was a complete surprise! There is romance, intrigue and espionage in this fast paced tale. I reached the end of the story and heaved a happy sigh. I love a good romantic mystery and this story is one.

Miss Mae has written a wonderful mystery. I love her writing style, which is fast paced and exciting, and the flow is wonderful. I am a huge fan of mystery novels, and one of my favourite authors in this genre is Agatha Christie. However, Miss Mae is an author that I will be keeping an eye on in the future.

I highly recommend this book to young readers who love mystery and suspense, and to adults who love a classic who-dun-it's and are looking for a quick, but highly entertaining read. - Lynn Worton