notrow1

Book Reviews by Lynn

Across the Universe

Across the Universe - Beth Revis Review 7 out of 5Seventeen-year-old Amy and her family leave Earth to colonise a planet which is 300 years away. But she is brutally woken fifty years before she was supposed to be. Amy feels so alone, but there is someone who wants to protect her. Elder is sixteen, but he is to be the new leader of "Godspeed" when it's his time.Can Amy and Elder unravel the secrets and lies and get to the truth? Can they find the killer before more lives are lost?I absolutely LOVED this book! Those who know me know I very rarely, if ever, swear. BUT - O.M.G. - This book is fantastic!I had heard on the review grapevine that it was good, but to me it's an understatement! This is one of the most exciting science fiction novels I have read in a long time! The characters are so life-like, that I couldn't believe that they only existed in the author's imagination. This book is told from both Amy's and Elder's point of view.Amy is a typical teen, but she has to make a hard decision whether or not to join her parents on a 300 year journey to a new planet. She is very brave, because if I was in her position, I don't think I would go through with it. After being woken, she has to cope with her new reality.Elder is a not so typical teen. He has been raised on ship to be the next leader. When Amy is woken up, he takes her under his wing, trying to protect her from an unknown murderer. There are some other great characters in this book too. I especially liked Harley, Elder's friend. There are some disturbing issues brought up in this book, but I think that they (the issues) need to be examined and are quite relevant today, as I'm sure they were in the past and will be in the future. After I finished reading, I sat for a bit thinking "WOW, that's some story!".Beth Revis has found a new fan in me, and I'm now looking forward to reading the sequel, A Million Suns. I highly recommend this book if you love YA/science fiction/adventure/action/mystery.