notrow1

Book Reviews by Lynn

Book Review of Millie Reinvented by Elodie Parkes

Millie Reinvented - Elodie Parkes

A love story. Betrayal, discovery, romance.

She was kissed under the mistletoe: he fell in love.

When August kissed Millie at a Christmas party, he was perhaps already half in love with her. The kiss from August is so different and enjoyable it jolts her into the realization that she has been kissing her husband but he's just been taking it.

It's not the only thing he's been taking.

Millie finds herself assessing her relationship with her husband over the next months as the August starts to pursue her.

The things Millie finds out about her husband astonish her.

What will happen as Millie and August develop a steamy and special relationship?

Review 3*

I received a complimentary copy from the author in return for an honest review.

This is a wonderfully sweet romance. I enjoyed it.

Millie is a likable character. She works in the human resource department of a large advertising agency. She is married to Peter, but only realises that their marriage is not as it should be when a co-worker kisses her under the mistletoe at the Christmas office party.

August is also a likable character. He is attracted to Millie. When he kisses her under the mistletoe at the office party, he realises that the attraction he feels for her could lead to love. However, there's a tiny complication - she's married.

This story is told through various points of view, though mostly through Millie and August's eyes. I loved the plot to this story, although I don't condone adultery. Being in an unhappy relationship is not very nice, and finding someone new who likes or loves you can make all the difference to the way you feel.

Unfortunately, I struggled to connect with the characters in this story. They were very likable, as I said above, but felt they were a little two dimensional. I would have loved to had a bit more depth to them. I also struggled with the almost essay type writing style the author uses to tell her story Rather than allowing the characters to tell the story, it was as if the author was narrating it. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but I found this to be a little off putting. This affected the flow in my opinion and gave it a rather jerky feel. Other readers may have a different opinion, so I will leave it to you to decide for yourselves. The author does use wonderful descriptive prose when describing the kisses (as well as other romantic moments) Millie and August share. The romance is sweet and the seduction builds into heated scenes that definitely scorch the page. If you love happy endings, then this book will satisfy you, as it did me.

Elodie Parkes has written a steamy contemporary romance. Her writing style is fast paced, but the flow is not as smooth as it could have been. Even so, I look forward to reading more books by this author.

I do not recommend this book to younger readers due to the explicit sexual scenes. However, I do recommend this book if you love steamy contemporary romance. - Lynn Worton