notrow1

Book Reviews by Lynn

NEST: Retribution
David J Antocci
Progress: 100 %
Jarek (Scifi Alien Weredragon Romance) (Dragons of Preor Book 1)
Erin Tate, Celia Kyle
Fury of Surrender
Coreene Callahan

Book Review of From Gods (Descendant Prophecies Book 1) by Mary Ting

From Gods - Mary Ting

Did you just see a flash of lightning across the sky on a clear sunny day? It’s not from Mother Nature. It is most likely from Mason Grand, swoon-worthy demigod, one of Zeus’s descendants.

Skylar Rome is supposed to be having the best summer ever before she heads off to college. Little did she know, her whole life was about to change while visiting her cousin. Nearly drowning at the beach due to unknown forces, one of the Grand brothers she’d just met, Mason, saves her life. Cool, collected, mysterious, and dangerously good-looking, Skylar is drawn to him from the start. Though she knows he is the type of guy good girls stayed away from, it seems he is always saving her life, and the attraction was inevitable.

Upon meeting the brothers, strange things begin to happen. When she accidentally kills one of the brothers, it throws her life into turmoil, as they search to find the answers. Implausibly, she gets caught up in a world of the descendants of ancient gods, all who have super powers. Not only is her discovery difficult to accept, evil beings are after her. Running out of time and running for her life, she must unravel a mystery. What do they want from her? Forced into a battle set into motion long before she was born, will she find the answers, or will she die trying?

Review 4****

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is the first book in a new series by this author. I really enjoyed it!

Skylar Rome is a character I wasn't sure whether I liked or not. She is a typical teen, full of angst and attitude. She is reckless at times, as well as stubborn, which gets her into trouble more often than not.
When she meets Mason Grand, her life takes a twist into the mythological.

Mason Grand is a character whom I would have loved to know more about. He is a wonderfully warm character, with a great sense of humour. Maybe it's Zeus's blood in his veins, or loosing his mother, but he holds himself aloof at times, which makes him seem rather arrogant.

Having read another YA romance series by this author, I was excited to get my hands on this book! I started to read this story, and I didn't put it down until I had finished it. This is a intriguing young adult paranormal romance, which kept me hooked from the first page. The story is told from the view points of both Skylar and Mason. I liked meeting Skylar's cousin, Kayla. She is also a typical teen, keen on shopping and hanging out with her friends. I also liked meeting Mason's brother Nick. He's charming and fun.

Unfortunately, although this story was full of danger and adventure, not to mention romance, I thought some of the plot got lost and overtaken by the sub-plots. For some reason, I was more drawn to Kayla and Nick's romance rather than Skylar's and Mason's. Not only that, the mythology of the Greek Gods' descendants, although adequately explained, seemed to have a few holes in it. I hope that, as this series continues, they will get filled in.
That being said, there are several twists and turns I didn't see coming. There are also some intriguing characters I am looking forward to get to know better, especially Noah and Tim, Poseidon's offspring. I am also not sure what the Oracle is planning, but it can't be good! The book ends on a cliffhanger, which has me looking forward to continuing this series.

Mary Ting is an amazing author! Her characters are extremely lifelike and likable. I added her to my favourite authors list a while back. Her books are a joy to read (when they're not making you cry that is!). They are fast paced, take you on a roller coaster ride of emotion and flow beautifully!

I highly recommend this book (and series) if you love YA Paranormal Romance. - Lynn Worton