notrow1

Book Reviews by Lynn

NEST: Retribution
David J Antocci
Progress: 100 %
Jarek (Scifi Alien Weredragon Romance) (Dragons of Preor Book 1)
Erin Tate, Celia Kyle
Progress: 200/200 pages
Fury of Surrender
Coreene Callahan
Progress: 100 %

Book Review of Ares (Guardians of Hades Romance Series Book 1) by Felicity Heaton

Ares: Guardians of Hades Romance Series - Felicity E. Heaton

Prince of the Underworld and Lord of Fire, Ares was banished from his home by his father, Hades, two centuries ago and given a new duty and purpose—to keep our world and his from colliding in a calamity foreseen by the Moirai.

Together with his six brothers, he fights to defend the gates to the Underworld from daemons bent on breaching them and gaining entrance to that forbidden land, striving to protect his home from their dark influence. Caged by the manifestation of his power, held apart from those he loves by his own fire and starved of physical contact, Ares lives a cold existence driven by duty and the desire to return to his world.

Until his world collides with a daemon who steals his power and a mortal female who shatters the ice around his heart and awakens the true fire within him—a soul-stirring passion both dangerous and seductive.

Megan has wandered far from her home, driven from everyone she loves by the devastating realisation that she is different to them all. Unsure who to trust in the world, she keeps to herself, until a fateful stormy night brings a temptingly handsome warrior crashing into her life and into her heart—a warrior who seems to hold powers more frightening and marvellous than her own.

When the New York gate comes under threat, and Ares is put to the test, will he choose his duty and regain the power he needs in order to save his world or will he choose the desires of his heart and sacrifice his fire so he can be with the woman becoming his whole world?

Review 4*

This is the first book in a new paranormal romance series written by this author. I loved it!

Ares is a wonderful character. I liked him a lot. He is one of the seven brothers born to Hades and Persephone, and has been banished to live in the mortal realm as a guardian to the portal into the Underworld in New York. His brothers guard other gates around the world. He has a typical alpha type personality - protective. Unfortunately, due to his power, which is the element of fire, he is extremely lonely as he is unable to touch anyone apart for two of his brothers. When he rescues a damsel in distress from a daemon, his power is stolen. Faced with a painful decision, will he be able to live with the consequences?

Megan is also a wonderful character. I liked her too. She is a human with a secret. She has a power too (she can heal), and in an effort to hide it, she tends to move often. Now living in New York, she is thrown into a hidden world of daemons and gods when she is attacked on the way home. As her attraction to her rescuer boils over, the battle between daemons and the Underworld heats up. Will she survive with her heart intact?

I have been eagerly awaiting the release of this book ever since I heard about it in the author's newsletter. I am a huge fan of this author's work and I pre-ordered my copy as soon as it became available. When it arrived on my Kindle, I began to read it as soon as I could.

I started to read the story and was instantly hooked. I became intrigued with the world building in this story. There is the human realm, but there is the jarring juxtaposition of what the sons' of Hades call "the otherworld". This otherworld is the future the Moirai foresaw and the Guardians are trying to protect against. It is a post apocalyptic vision of fire and destruction. The story is told mostly through the eyes of Ares and Morgan, but one of Ares' brothers, Valen, has a couple of chapters from his own point of view. This introduces us to him, as I understand his story will be next in the series. The brothers are (as introduced in the book): Ares, Daimon, Esher, Valen, Keras, Calistos and Marek. Keras is the oldest while Calistos is the youngest. Not sure of the order of the other brothers though. However, each brother has their own unique power: Ares is fire, Daimon is ice, Esher is water, Valen is lightning and so on. The reader also gets to meet Persephone and Hades, though only for small cameos.

I love reading the Eternal Mates series, but this new series may give it a run for it's money. However, I also felt this story is somewhat similar in tone to the Eternal Mates. I realise that the romance genre (contemporary and paranormal) has been around for a long time and most topics have been hashed over time and time again, which makes it difficult to find original concepts. I am not knocking this book at all but the formula used in creating it. I hope that as this series grows, the story arc is revealed to have surprising twists. I am looking forward to finding out.

Felicity Heaton has written another fast paced, sexy paranormal romance that I thoroughly enjoyed! I love her fast paced writing style, which flows effortlessly from scene to scene. She is on top of my favourite author's list.

Each book of this series could be read as a stand-alone, as this one does not end in a cliffhanger, though I would recommend reading them in order. I do not recommend this book to younger readers due to the extremely HOT and explicit sexual scenes. However, I highly recommend this book (and series) if you love sexy paranormal romances full of gods and daemons. - Lynn Worton